Sunday 4 January 2015

Boxing day dissapointments


Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fabulous Christmas and got what you really wanted. But what comes after Christmas? Boxing day of course! This is the day where supposedly shops have big discounts on clothes and this is also a really busy day where majority of people go out shopping. I was no exception of course. 

We are finally moving house in not even a month and I am finally getting my own room. I have been waiting for this for eight years now, and finally I will have my own space. I hope a new house will mean a bit of a new start. I will finally be able to make it personal and decorate it how I want it. But this also means I want new furniture. We decided that boxing day would be a good opportunity to go look in Ikea as they may have some good deals in there. So on Friday the 26th of December at 8am, me, my younger sister, my parents and my boyfriend got into our little Corsa and set out on a 2 hour journey to go to Ikea. It was one of the most disappointing things I came across. Yes they did have a lot of furniture and some sale going on, but this was not what I saw on their website. An amazing example is a wardrobe which I saw online, it looked quiet good, had 3 doors. When I actually looked at it in the shop it was not much taller than me, the shelves in it were OK but I would not fit much into it either. A small sofa, the quality of it was not breathtaking either. I would probably use it for 3 months before the foam in it started to deform and I would have to change the mattress which costs almost as much as the sofa itself. The only thing I found that caught my eye was like a bookshelf and a desk. 

My mum saw a Next store so of course we went in there as well. Right, here I have a bit of mixed views on this store. I have to give them one huge plus, they did have a lot of stuff on sale. Almost every item in store was on sale. I got a pair of shoes that were 50% off. The store was absolutely packed with people shopping. One minus goes for a staff member. I say a staff member because only one caught my eye in particular. I am not sure whether they have volunteers in the store to help out during this day as it seems there was unusually high number of staff, one of them I believe may have had some mental problems. Don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against people with mental disability. In fact I am quiet happy for this guy for trying to live a normal life. But he was walking around with a hanger in his mouth, mouth open and really licking it, while a coat was still on it. He was really sweating as well. Is a clothes store really the best place for such a person? He did not particularly give the best impression, especially by licking the hangers. 

2 hours later, me and my boyfriend got dropped off at a shopping centre where we met up with out friend to do some more shopping. Unfortunately I wasn't that well prepared financially this year so my shopping was not, or rather could not, be as big as I may wish it to be. We started off with Primark. My boyfriend wanted some jeans so we started off with the men's section. On the way to the jeans there was some tops and jumpers of course so we had a quick look. Quiet a lot of them were still Christmas jumpers, some normal looking tops and some simple hoodies. Nothing too eye catching. Jeans were not so exciting either. Most looked the same and they didn't really have many 'skinny' types. I'm not sure if people buy so many of them that they ran out or they simply don't stock that many. Anyway, after that we went downstairs to the women's section. Lots of jumpers, I have been given ban on wool jumpers because I have so many apparently, some tops and of course jeans and leggings. I have decided I am not buying leggings from Primark again because I have worn them once and they started to rip and they became really see through after about a week. The jeans were not that bad quality I have to say but they stretch really easily. I don't know if this is the case just for me or others have the same problems? After not being able to find anything for myself and paying for the jeans that we did find, we set out to H&M.

Right, so H&M. I really like this shop as they have some really nice things, but not this time. They had loads of wool jumpers and cardigans, but like I said, I got banned from buying anymore as I already have quiet a lot of them. And apart from them, I really didn't find anything that would stand out from the rest. The sales were really bad as well. As for the women's section, we barley had any. Apparently the men's section didn't have anything either. They left a basket with some stuff in there that was 'on sale' but the rest was normal price. Come on H&M, you can do better. But I did end up getting a really nice bag for £19.99 and a pair of jeans for £7.99. As for the quality of them both, we will have to see. 
My mum and sister went to Matalan and apparently there was barley anything on sales and the fitting rooms were closed. How can you close fitting rooms on a day like this when the shop would be overflowing with customers. I understand the security reasons but how are we, as customers, supposed to buy things such as trousers without trying them on? I don't got to a shop to buy something and then come back the next day to exchange it for another size. 

I can easily conclude that Next had the best sales as basically the whole shop as on sale, with almost everything 50% off. Other shops will have to try a bit more as they could really gain a lot of money from sales on a day like this. And what about you, how did you spend your boxing day? Was is a success or a disappointment? Let me know in the comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment